Guitar and music blog

9/29/2009

Me and my noise!

I have been experimenting with my virtual guitar rig for the last few month and thought I would share my thoughts and findings.

First part of my setup is Softubes Acoustic feedback, this is as close to playing a loud over driven amp as you will get with a plugin, thanks to Jeff over at geareview for drawing my attention to this plug-in, fantastic squeals and feedback!














Next is a Tube Screamer set with level 100% tone on 50% to 100% gain set really low like 5-10 alternatively I sometimes use a Boss SD-1 with similar settings. I find that is has a nasally cocked wah quality that's hard to work with and the tube screamer sounds a pinch warmer, anyway I use BTE Audio's Tube screamers secret, the one skinned by requietus





After the booster I use one of these amp sims:

Nick Crows 8505












Poulin HyBrit
















Poulin
SoloC














Analog Sims JCM900









If the amp sim Im using doesn't have a cab simulator like Nicks 8505 then I use Poulin LeCab, normally with Mesa and Engl cabs, I use Alus decab impulse to remove the cab sim built into the JCM900 and use Poulins LeCab as usual.










Finally I use Overlouds Breverb to add a 'touch' of reverb to rhythm tracks and a big dollop for lead tracks, Im just sticking with presets from Breverb for now (Guitar room/lonely guitarist), I have the plugin 100% wet with only 20-25% applied to the signal.











If I want a thrash metal sound I will go for the 8515 or the SoloC, If I want a more natural tube type sound and also lead playing then lately I have been using the HyBrit with some success, still cant quite get the ultimate tone, guess I never will! getting closer though....

0 comments: