Guitar and music blog

9/06/2009

Electric metal blues

Bah! I had a blast on guitar tonight but couldnt come up with anything worthwhile, same old stuff again and again!

I know I mentioned creativity last time but this is one almighty rut.  It seems like im bored of playing all the stuff that im good at, the only stuff I enjoy is Hendrix blues stuff and im not so good at that.  My natural style or learned style is metal and grunge although if I just pick up a guitar and play it come out like 90's thrash metal rather than grunge.  Even the lead stuff that I normally get a kick out of playing is tiresome.  I look forward to picking up a guitar and having a jam but after every session I feel fed up and frustrated, dont know if I can bring myself to learn a whole new style, not with my attention span...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, man. I've been trying to branch out lately, too, and challenge myself to make music that isn't so predictable. Here's hoping we can both get it right. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, this was an article that was recommended to me by some other musicians when I told them that I was in a rut and trying to get out. I have not yet implemented it but I have a feeling it will do wonders for me during my next practice...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/get-zone-intriguing/jun-08/36177

Dave Thomas said...

problem with that article is that it has lots of theory in it, Im not a theory person never learned that way, I know how to play arpeggios and some scales but never learned chord progressions and key really, well I did but I just ignore or forget it :)

Still worth sticking in an area of the fret board and noodling with a set of notes. Problem I have is a make something up and am never happy with it, change it each time i play it then discard it.

I Seem to be happiest when Im just learning some fancy sweep picking lick, maybe Im not meant to be creative...