Guitar and music blog

9/01/2009

ABY switcher change of plan...

To switch or not to switch...

I had a change of mind on the Aby switcher, I don't really need the ability to switch between anything so this is going to be a basic ground lift audio isolator, hopefully this will cure the noise issues I have been having using a laptop.  I think the noise is coming from a typically noisy switch mode power supply in the laptops power brick.

Parts

The parts for this project are only minimal, the most important being the transformer for isolation, you can easily spend a lot of money on an audio quality transformer but as this is just for guitar hopefully I can get away with a cheaper one, the linear frequency range is 200Hz-15kHz, although the low frequency response is a low I'm hoping this will suffice although I'm not so sure now, might have a scout about see if I can get a better low frequency response...
Other parts of note are a TL072 JFET Op amp and a Intersil
ICL7660 voltage doubler to ensure we have enough headroom using a single 9v battery.  Other than that there's just a handful of capacitors and a few resistors.
I see if I can get the parts list finalised and get the schematic and pcb layout on here shortly...
D.

0 comments: